Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog #6

As I watched the video by Wendy Drexler the realization of being replaced by technology really struck a cord with me. I feel like technology is important, but as I have stressed in previous blogs, I am going into education to make a connection with students. I want to be that teacher that students depend on. I want them to know that I love what I'm doing and excited to teach them. I just don't understand how I can do that on the personal level if I am replaced by technology.
If that really happened. If technology replaced teacher's, then where would all the teacher's be that have been teacher's for 35 years. What about the students like me who are 25 and going to to school to finally do what they know they want to do and in the end are being replaced by technology? I really love technology. I believe it can do great things and bring education to whole new level, but I feel like students would miss that interaction, face to face interaction, of their teacher and other students. I really just hope that we can learn to incorporate both education by teacher and education by technology. On a lighter note, the video gave me great insight on how to do my PLN, which I have been struggling trying to figure out! The video was very interesting and creative.

7th Grade PLN

She has done a great job with her PLN for the age that she is. She is more experienced than I am! She did make good points. She is able to do her assignments the way she wants and how she wants. She said she being online for her science teaches her the responsibility she needs to do her work. She likes that everything is neat and looks really cool online. I think she has done a great video. It seems very interesting and I guess I'm just old school and didn't really think schools went to online learning in middle school! I am very far behind in the education technology age and hope one day I can catch up!

Dr. Wesch made some great points. Sometimes school is not about the students. I have so many big classes this semester, Anatomy and Physiology has 146 students and Biology has 101 students. I feel disconnected from the teachers as well as students. I thrive on having an identity in my classrooms and right now I don't. He says you have to make your own identity or else you won't have one. How am I supposed to make an impact on a teacher who has 100 other students and not to mention more than one class? Dr. Wesch also discusses how we communicate. He brought up points about self awareness. I think as an overall speaker he was fantastic. The videos he showed gave us insight on what we really look like and do. He made it creative and funny. He spoke a little quick at times, but that's how is it! I feel like my life, personal and collegiate life depends on creating an identity. I am 25 and it has taken me this long to figure out exactly what I want to be. When I made the decision to go into Education about a year ago, I decided it be time to take it serious. I used to take a few classes here and there, sometimes not even go to class. I took it for granted. Now that I have a child, work full-time, have a second part- time job as well as go to school full-time, I know not to waste my time or my professors time. I am in Physical Education as South and have made it a point to have a great interaction with my teachers. I have found that the teacher's I have had in the Physical Education building know me by first name, know what I do outside of school and know that I strive to be perfect in their classroom. Without me making my identity known, I would never have the experience I have gotten at South. It is an amazing feeling knowing my teacher's know me and know they expect the most from me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carly
    I understand your concerns on teachers being replaced by technology. Initially, those were my thoughts, too, but I have changed my way of thinking. I don't think the need for teachers will ever go away because people DO need human interaction. As technology becomes more prevalent in the classroom, I think the teacher's role will change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carly,

    I agree with what Jared says above. You said, "I am going into education to make a connection with students. I want to be that teacher that students depend on." The student connection is very important, and is certainly something I am looking forward to as well, but I hope to teach my students to be independent knowledge seekers and show them resources that will help them become less dependent on me and realize the potential within collective knowledge-- which is what technology is all about!

    Anthony

    ReplyDelete