Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?
Yes, I do think if learners are motivated and have the correct materials and tools, can teach themselves. 
2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?
I believe kids have the ability to teach themselves if they have the motivation and resources. Children are sponges and I believe that if they are taught correctly they can teach themselves. 
3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself?
I believe they have to have someone that is responsible and reliable they can go to for help. I think they need a knowledge of technology and how to use the computer. Knowledge of technology is the most important thing for a student to have to be able to teach themselves.
4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process?
As mentioned before I feel if someone is teaching themselves then it is most likely going to be through the use of technology. Having access to computers and knowing how to use them is very important in the learning/teaching process.
5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn? 
Motivation is a huge aspect of the desire to learn. It is very important to want to learn. My personal experience has showed me motivation is the mindset I have had in the past few semesters. My grades  have become better, my teachers have noticed me more and I enjoy school more. You have to want to learn and not think you HAVE to learn. 
6. What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?
This is where the reliable or responsible teacher that is leading these students to teach themselves. Everyone has to have someone they can go to or email when they have a problem or question.
7. How do you motivate someone to learn?
I believe showing them to have fun and teaching them how to learn without realizing they are learning is important.  Allowing the children/students to do self-assessment and learn responsibility is a great way to show them it is possible to teach yourselves.
8. How are you motivated to learn?
My family motivates me. I finally found something I am truly happy with and I look forward to doing something I love for hopefully a long time. I have been lucky enough to meet great people and teacher's in my classes that motivate me as well.
9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn learn?
I think you can learn but not the extent that is necessary to fully enjoy what you are learning. I don't think you can put what you learn into your job and class if you aren't motivated.
10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why?
I feel like this class teaches me certain things. I feel responsible for everything and it keeps me on my toes. It has also taught me time management. I teach myself as a coach for volleyball. I look up drills and plays and workouts for my team and for me to know. I do a lot of research for coaching.
11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?
I feel like have a teacher who truly enjoys what he/she does will give you a better outcome than a teacher who is there collecting a pay check. Like mentioned before I have had amazing teacher's in the Physical Education Department that have encouraged me to be a better student and have really showed me how fun this major is!
12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?
There are some children not as lucky as we are to be able to have both in classroom and out of classroom learning. Some only have the choice to teach themselves.
13. What other questions or issues are raised by this video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers? 
Why are there children in this world as well as other  countries that have no supplies and access to the learning materials that are needed for the growth of learning and education?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carly,

    Just finished reading your comments on the assignment #2. You and I have agreed on motivation in the classroom. I feel like what you said about teachers that are excited and happy and want to be at the school will do a much better job of motivating their students to want to learn. Its unfortunate but I actually know a teacher who teaches high school in our area and hates his job. Instead of being positive and trying to make a difference he does just enough to "collect a paycheck" as you said. I feel so sorry for his students. I have had to distance myself from that friend because he brings me down and is not very supportive of my decision to become a teacher.

    I have often wondered the same as you why are students around the world not getting access to learning material and I wish I knew that answer and I would also like to see that change. Its great that you have an instructor who motivates you to follow your dreams of becoming a teacher how blessed you are. Good Luck to you on your journey.
    Jessica Hadaway

    ReplyDelete