Thursday, October 28, 2010

Blog #10

I read the article by Morgan Bayda http://morgbayda.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/an-open-letter-to-educators/ and also watched the video included in her post. The video was of a student, Dan Brown, who had dropped out of college because his schooling was interfering with his learning. They both had great points about society today and university's not up to par with society! Here is my response to this post: This post and video were very interesting. I have been taking this class at The University of South Alabama called EDM310 for a about 3/4 of a semester. I started this class a little nervous because of how different it is. We meet only certain weeks throughout the semester and the rest of the time the work and “learning” is up to us! It is a great change of pace and really requires you to be responsible and put your mind to work on your own! I think the video, though he was a little wired, had a great point. If schools don’t start using the technology age to its advantage, society will decide it doesn’t need it anymore. After taking this class and relying on myself for work and learning has given me a new outlook on education. I go to my other classes (mostly my pre-req) and I am in a lecture hall with no interaction with other students and no interaction with the professor! In my major classes for Physical Education they are much smaller and teacher’s do ask for interaction but not the extent of this class! The only downfall I am having with all of this technology age is I haven’t figured out how I am going to implement what I have learned in this class into a PE class. Any ideas? Great post! Please check out my blog!


Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home was a great article. It really showcased the cause and effect of good teaching. He is getting parents involved as well as giving students the ability to work on their own. I feel if you trust students and give them some space they will achieve in a level you would never expect.


I watched the movie Two Questions That Can Change Your Life by Daniel Pink. He asked two important questions. 1. What is your sentence? 2. Are you better today that you were yesterday? I honestly never really thought about having a sentence and the importance of it. I asked myself if I was better today that I was yesterday and I am not sure if I can answer it. I guess since I had never thought of asking myself that question I never really paid attention to my actions day to day. So tomorrow I will ask myself that question and see if I can answer it! I think for now my sentence would be, I want to graduate to provide a better future for my daughter. I'm sure it will change eventually. Everything I do in school is getting me one step closer to providing a better life for my daughter. That's most important. So for now that's all I have. It's definitely something to really think about.


Two questions that can change your life from Daniel Pink on Vimeo.

5 comments:

  1. Carly,
    I believe you can implement plenty of technology in your PE classes... not necessarily the one's we've learned about in this class, but possibly some others you will come across.
    And I have also never really asked myself the question "Are you better today than you were yesterday?". It could very well motivate any person to do better. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carly,
    I love your blog page and all the creative things you've done to it. I really liked doing blog post #10 because I have been following Morgan Bayda on here because she was my first c4t assignment. Her blog is very interesting and I can tell that you liked it too. Great post!
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carly,

    This is a very exciting and refreshing point ... It is a great change of pace and really requires you to be responsible and put your mind to work on your own! This is how education should work! Do you have any ideas for your future classrooms based on what you have learned in this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't come up with anything to use from this class in a PE class! We are the gym mostly for class and I am not sure how to do a technology assignment. Maybe have them do a project on the sport we are learning using the computer and making a powerpoint or something? But where would I play the powerpoint? It's difficult. I love this class and the things we have learned, I just wish I could come up with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think you have a powerful sentence. I would say that your sentence is something akin to what my mother's sentence would be is she had to create one. And that was a very important thing to me, that she cared so much. So keep doing what you do, you are and will be a very amazing woman for your daughter if this is what you put first and foremost.

    ReplyDelete