Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Additional Assignment #1

We were told to use google squared and wolframalpha search engines. Before this assignment I had never heard of either one of these. I google squared Duke Basketball, High Schools in Mobile, Alabama and Anatomy of the body. If I were a sports announcer or sports writer and needed quick stats this was a great way to find it. It gave me a list of the main players at duke, their height, weight, where they were drafted and with who. I also added a column that asked PPG(points per game) and it gave me most of those. For the High Schools it gave me a list of all High Schools in Mobile and a description along with the address and telephone number. For someone just moving to Mobile, this could be a good tool to use to find a school close to your area and you could probably add a column to find out what school is in your area. For the anatomy of the body it showed a few organs and a few systems but also gave me other links to go more in depth in each one. Great way to pull up something quick for a review of some sort. On wolfram alpha I searched my birthday, January 27, 1986. It came  up with the day I was born, how many days (8997), weeks (128) and years (24.63) I have lived. Also told me the sunrise and sunset time as well as the moon's position. It is kind of a fun way to get little facts about your birthday! I also good the University of South Alabama. It came up with how many students, full time or part time, how many were graduate students and how many were undergraduate student and how much tuition was. It also showed the degrees awarded and how many were awarded for each major. Another way to check out schools you are interested quickly and easily. I re-read my post for Did You Know and realized that I may have taken some statistics out of context. Like Dr. Strange said, the Bahamas has a much smaller area to cover than the United States, so of course their technology use is higher. It's easier to connect everyone in the Bahamas because it is so much smaller. I think this made me rethink statistics in a way that I can take what Did You Know says and put into google squared or wolframalpha and see how everything compares. Knowing these search engines exist gives me a better aspect on statistics. It gives me a way to compare different things as well as having a quick lookup. It was definitely an eye opener. 

Pitcairn Islands


Also Food for Thought is something I found interesting. This just goes to show the ease and capabilities of the iPAD and apple products all around. I fully enjoy my mac and iPhone and don't know where I would be if I didn't have them!

1 comment:

  1. Exactly! Google Squared is an excellent example of the latest and greatest. SS

    ReplyDelete